Tensions escalated in central Nagpur on Monday, March 17, after protests erupted following rumours that a holy book of the Muslim community was burned during an agitation by a right-wing group calling for the removal of Aurangzeb’s tomb. As per PTI, the violence left four people injured as stones were thrown at police officers and clashes ensued in various areas.

According to officials, the situation became volatile as police were forced to fire tear gas shells and use cane-charging to disperse the mob in Chitnis Park and Mahal. The violence soon spread to Kotwali and Ganeshpeth areas in the afternoon, causing further unrest.
Preliminary reports suggest that the Chitnis Park to Shukrawari Talao stretch was the hardest-hit area, where rioters set fire to several vehicles. Explosions were heard from vehicles that had been torched in the Mahal area, where tensions broke out between two groups, escalating the violence. Stones were also thrown at residents’ homes.

Police are working to control a mob believed to be numbering in the thousands. The disturbances began shortly after members of Bajrang Dal staged a demonstration near the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj statue in the Mahal area. During the protest, rumours began circulating that the Quran had been burned, which quickly went viral on social media, inciting outrage within the Muslim community.

In response, a complaint was lodged at the Ganeshpeth police station alleging the desecration of the holy book. As the news spread, large groups of Muslim community members began to gather across various locations in the city, including Mahal, Kotwali, Ganeshpeth, and Chitnis Park.

In anticipation of further escalation, police increased patrols and called in additional security forces to maintain law and order. As per PTI, an official confirmed that stones were thrown at the police in Chitnis Park and Mahal, prompting the authorities to use tear gas to control the crowd. Reports indicate that violence also spread to other areas as tensions heightened.

However, Bajrang Dal leaders have denied the allegations, asserting that they only burned an effigy of Aurangzeb as part of their protest.

As violence continued, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis issued a statement calling for peace and urged citizens not to believe the circulating rumours. He said, “Police are managing the situation following stone pelting and the tense situation in the Mahal area.” Fadnavis appealed to the public to cooperate with authorities and avoid spreading misinformation.

The Chief Minister, who also oversees the Home Ministry, assured that he was in constant contact with police officials and requested their cooperation to restore peace. He emphasised that Nagpur is traditionally a peaceful city, where people share in each other’s joys and sorrows, and urged residents to not give in to rumours.

In light of the ongoing situation, additional security measures have been implemented, including the deployment of Quick Response Teams (QRT), Riot Control Police, and the State Reserve Police Force (SRPF).

Union Minister Nitin Gadkari has appealed for calm following the tensions triggered by rumours in the city. In a post on X, he said, “Due to certain rumors, a situation of religious tension has arisen in Nagpur. The city’s history is known for maintaining peace in such matters. I urge all my brothers not to believe in any kind of rumours and to maintain peace.”

“Do not come out onto the streets. Cooperate with the law and order system. Preserve the tradition of peace and harmony that Nagpur is known for. I assure you all that the government will take action against those who have committed mistakes or engaged in illegal activities. The Chief Minister has already been informed about this situation, so I request everyone not to pay attention to rumours. Please cooperate with the police administration, foster love, and maintain a positive atmosphere in the city. This is my humble request to all of you.”

With inputs from PTI



Source link

Share.
error: Content is protected !!
Exit mobile version